Divorce Modification

If you have been through a divorce, you know that situations can change very quickly. Most people believe that once a divorce is finalized, the divorce decree cannot be modified. If there is a significant change in circumstance, either party involved in the divorce may petition the court to modify certain aspects of the decree.

At Helgesen, Houtz & Jones we have successfully helped thousands of people through the divorce process, as well as assisted them in modifying their decree after their divorce. We have continuously obtained favorable results for our clients and would love the opportunity to help you modify your decree. We cannot promise results, but we can promise to give you our best work. If you would like help please call our office, or schedule a free consultation using the link below.

Families Helped



Client Satisfaction

Divorce Decree Modification

Situations and circumstances are constantly changing. As time goes on after a divorce, many people want to change certain aspects of their divorce decree such as custody, child support, parenting schedules, as well as many other similar aspects. If you are interested in modifying your divorce decree, you must be able to show a substantial change of circumstances in your life or the life of your ex-spouse.

What is a significant change in circumstance?

Defining a “significant change in circumstance” can be difficult because significantly is up for interpretation. These are some of the more common changes that can lead to the modification of divorce decree:

  • Change in income – This can be caused by a reduction in income, job loss, obtaining a new job, or even a large raise in your current position.
  • Change in location – This refers to relocating to a new address. Most often this happens when someone decides to move out of state, but also can qualify as a reason to modify if it is a significant change in location within the state.
  • Anything impacting the care of a minor child- In our experience, this is probably the most common reason to modify a divorce decree. If you remember, the court will always rule in what it feels is “in the best interest of the child” at the time the divorce decree was finalized. If there is a significant change in circumstance that is now preventing the minor child from receiving proper care, then you most likely have grounds to modify your decree. Until your child turns 18, the court will always attempt to enforce what is best for the child.


We are here to help

We have had the privilege of assisting thousands of people through the divorce process. We specialize in divorce and we are very familiar with the legal options available to you. We would love the opportunity of helping you through the process of modifying your divorce decree. If you need help or have questions, please give us a call or schedule a free consultation online.


What do our family law clients say about us?

[bne_testimonials id="516"  message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff" ]

[bne_testimonials id="501" message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff"]

[bne_testimonials id="513"  message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff" ]

[bne_testimonials id="482" message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff"]

[bne_testimonials id="495"  message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff" ]

Meet Our Family Law Team

Craig P. Helgesen

Family Law Attorney

Kurt M. Helgesen

Family Law Attorney


Family Law Paralegal


Family Law Paralegal

Do you need help from a divorce modification attorney?

Our experienced Utah family law team can help modify your divorce.

Our office location in Layton, Davis County, Utah

Phone Number

(801) 544-5306

Email Address



1513 N. Hill FIeld Road, Suite 3, Layton, Utah 84041

Helgesen, Houtz & Jones

Our lawyers also serve the following areas across the state of Utah: Davis County, Morgan County, Weber County, Salt Lake County, Bountiful, Centerville, Clearfield, Clinton, East Layton, Eden, Farmington, Farr West, Fruit Heights, Harrisville, Hooper, Huntsville, Kaysville, Layton, Morgan, Mountain Green, Near me, North Ogden North Salt Lake, Ogden, Plain City, Pleasant View, Riverdale, Roy, South Ogden, South Weber, Syracuse, Uintah, Washington Terrace, West Bountiful, West Haven, West Kaysville, West Point, Woods Cross, and anyone else who desires to travel to Layton for legal services.

Let's get in touch

[formidable id="11"]