Child Visitation

Wondering when you will get to see your child, and how much time you will be able to spend with them can be very emotionally challenging. In Utah, the courts try as hard as possible to make sure the child gets to spend the maximum amount of time with each parent.

At Helgesen, Houtz & Jones we have the had the opportunity to help thousands of people spend more time with their children. We have been delivered favorable results to our clients time and time again through our hard work and dedication to their cases. We cannot promise results, however, we can say that we will do everything in our power to get you the results you are looking for. If you need help with a child visitation issue please give us a call, schedule a free consultation, or ask us a question using the form below.

Families Helped



Client Satisfaction

Child Visitation

Child visitation and child custody are very closely related. Depending on the type of child custody you are awarded in your case, you will have an allotted amount of time to spend with your child. For questions relating to different types of child custody please visit our child custody page.

The court will always make decisions based on what they feel is best for your child. When it comes to visitation, they want both parents to maintain an active role in the child’s life. However, they do not want switching back and forth between parents to have a negative effect on their child’s education or emotional well-being.

Parents will always have the right to determine the schedule that works best for them and their children. When parents cannot agree on the time they will both spend with the child, the court will provide a minimum parent-time schedule (please visit by clicking this link to see those schedules enforced by the court). The court also has the right to modify the schedule based on what they feel is appropriate for the child.


Child visitation modification

Either parent may request a modification of the child visitation plan at any moment. Sometimes there are very significant life changes that justify a modification in the parent’s visitation schedule. Just as in the initial visitation schedule, the court will always decide on what they feel is best for the child.


Enforcing a custody order

Both parents must obey all of the orders determined by the court. If either parent is not satisfied with the court orders, they must hire an attorney and legally change the order. Nobody has the right to restrict the parenting time of the other parent even if they are not fulfilling their side of the deal such as not paying child support, etc.

We have worked with thousands of people facing these similar issues. Just as you might expect, sometimes people can be stubborn and refuse to share time with the other parent. Do not take matters into your own hands when one party refuses to obey the order, this may reflect badly on you and bring about unintended consequences. The best way to approach this situation is to get legal help and file a motion asking the court to enforce the order. By handling the situation with legal help, if a parent continues to disobey, the court may issue a fine to the opposing party, and/or order them to serve time in jail.


We are here to help

We know how stressful and emotionally challenging child visitation issues can be. We have worked with thousands of people facing these issues. We know what your legal options are, and we know how to help you pursue those options. If you are facing these issues do not try to do it alone. We would love the opportunity to assist you in your legal matters. Please give us a call at 801-544-5306, schedule a free consultation online, or ask us a question using the form below.

What do our family law clients say about us?

[bne_testimonials id="516"  message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff" ]

[bne_testimonials id="501" message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff"]

[bne_testimonials id="513"  message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff" ]

[bne_testimonials id="482" message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff"]

[bne_testimonials id="495"  message_color="#ffffff" author_color="#fff" ]

Meet Our Family Law Team

Craig P. Helgesen

Family Law Attorney

Kurt M. Helgesen

Family Law Attorney


Family Law Paralegal


Family Law Paralegal

Do you need help from a child visitation attorney?

Our experienced Utah family law team will help you with your child visitation needs.

Our office location in Layton, Davis County, Utah

Phone Number

(801) 544-5306

Email Address


1513 N. Hill FIeld Road, Suite 3, Layton, Utah 84041

Helgesen, Houtz & Jones

Our lawyers also serve the following areas across the state of Utah: Davis County, Morgan County, Weber County, Salt Lake County, Bountiful, Centerville, Clearfield, Clinton, East Layton, Eden, Farmington, Farr West, Fruit Heights, Harrisville, Hooper, Huntsville, Kaysville, Layton, Morgan, Mountain Green, Near me, North Ogden North Salt Lake, Ogden, Plain City, Pleasant View, Riverdale, Roy, South Ogden, South Weber, Syracuse, Uintah, Washington Terrace, West Bountiful, West Haven, West Kaysville, West Point, Woods Cross, and anyone else who desires to travel to Layton for legal services.

Let's get in touch

[formidable id="11"]